Fashion Design (Ages 11-15) - NEWTON
This 6-week *Advanced Level* course will provide students with a peek into the world of a professional Fashion Designer!
Starting ages 11 and up, Fashion Design is a course created by a Parsons School of Design Alumna, and is a perfect fit for students who:
- Have a lot of experience sewing basic clothing and/or took our Fashion Sewing course in the past
- Have a creative flair and a deep interest in the intricacies of fashion design
- Possibly wants to attend Fashion School in the future
- Wants to learn how to pull inspiration, illustrate fashion croquis, and sew using a pattern
- Are excited by a course that is half-theory, half-practice, and wholly fun!
Week 1: Introduce one another, watch two fashion shows with different styles, discuss what inspiration is and where it can be sourced, and begin working on mood boards.
Week 2: Finish mood boards, making color swatch cards, naming collections, making a customer profile, and learning how to pull inspiration from mood boards and colors.
Week 3: Group sketching and learning the basics of designing with a fashion croquis, making quick sketches inspired by mood boards, and working on more finalized versions of the designs.
Week 4: Designing and choosing versions of the garments that can be sewn, measuring, starting pattern drafting, labeling sewing patterns, and discussing fabric options.
Week 5: Finalize sewing patterns, cutting patterns using intended fabric, and begin sewing.
Week 6: Finish sewing and final garment construction!