Junior Fashion Design (Ages 7-11) - NEWTON
This 6-week *Beginner Level* course will provide students with a peek into the world of a professional Fashion Designer!
For children ages 7-11, Junior Fashion Design is a course created by a Parsons School of Design Alumna, and is a perfect fit for students who:
- Has little to no machine sewing experience (we will teach you!)
- Has a creative flair and deep interest in fashion design specifically
- Interested in learning a new skill
- Wants to learn how to pull inspiration, illustrate fashion croquis, and sew using a pattern
Week 1: Introduce one another, watch two fashion shows with different styles, discuss what inspiration is and where it can be sourced, learn about what a mood board is and begin working on our own mood boards.
Week 2: Finish mood boards, making color swatch cards, naming collections, making a customer profile, and learning how to pull inspiration from mood boards and colors.
Week 3: Learning the basics of designing with a fashion croquis as a group, making quick sketches inspired by mood boards, and working on colored and more finalized versions of the designs.
Week 4: Designing more simplified versions of the garments that can be sewn, sewing machine demonstration, measuring, starting pattern drafting, and discussing fabric options.
Week 5: Finalize sewing patterns, cutting patterns using intended fabric, and begin sewing.
Week 6: Finish sewing and final garment construction!
- Saturday September 23rd- 2023 November 4th 2023 (No class 10/7 due to Indigenous Peoples weekend)
- Saturday November 11th 2023-January 6th 2024 (No Class 11/25 due to Thanksgiving and 12/23, 12/30 due to holidays)
- Saturday January 20th 2024-March 2nd 2024 (No class 2/17 due to Winter Break)
- Saturday March 9th 2024-April 27th 2024 (No class 4/13 and 4/20 due to Spring Break)
- Saturday May 4th 2024- June 15th 2024 (No class on 5/25 due to Memorial Day)